Re: Configuring beam count at subdivisions

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Configuring beam count at subdivisions
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 18:23:45 +0100

On 18.01.2016 18:12, Urs Liska wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.

off-list I got one strong opinion against providing the #'one option because it's incorrect.

‘Because it’s incorrect’ being one of the weaker arguments. Actually it impedes legibility, so…

I know it's incorrect, and that's why I had asked for an improvement around a year ago. However, it's the way everybody is used to, and that's why some might still *want* to engraver their scores that way.

Apart from LilyPond < 2.19.21 this is what Sibelius and Finale users can achieve automatically (except for drawing the extra secondary beams manually ...).

Well, deep in my heart I also feel we shouldn't support incorrect notation, and so I'm inclined to throw it out again (no big deal of course) and only provide the #'base-moment option. While I wouldn't use it personally I can think of scores where the new default beaming (with differing beam numbers on the different positions) might look too inconsistent.

no matter whether it would ‘look inconsistent’ it would aid the performer to decipher the actual rhythm. If it’s a mere aestheticist idiosyncracy of the composer and practical considerations don’t matter – so be it. But I think it’s a strong point in LilyPond that it’s not only about beauty. With perhaps a good explanation of this in the docs, I agree that we don’t need the #'one option.

Yours, Simon