Re: Swedish letters in Lilypond lyrics?

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Swedish letters in Lilypond lyrics?
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 21:47:45 +0100

On 18.01.2016 20:33, Karin wrote:
Hi!

I have just recently discovered the world of Lilypond and was really
pleased as long as I wrote the lyrics in English. When switching to Swedish
I ran into trouble. There are three specific characters in Swedish and only
onle of them is available in the Lilypond "list of special characters". I
need the letters å, ä, ö, Å, Ä and Ö - or as a HTML-person would put it:
å ä ö Å Ä Ö

Can you help me fix this? I have only found &aa; and &AA; which corresponds
to the HTML-ish å and Å

As Karl pointed out: the easiest way is to just include them plain into your input file, since LilyPond has no problem with UTF-8 input. In case you should really need ASCII-only input for whatever reason, there’s the markup command \char:
\markup\concat { \char ##x00E4 \char ##x00F6 \char ##x00C4 \char ##x00D6 }

HTH, Simon