Re: ly:one-page-breaking (was: ly:one-line-breaking)

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: ly:one-page-breaking (was: ly:one-line-breaking)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 09:02:31 +0000

On Mon, 2016-01-18 at 22:51 -0500, Paul Morris wrote:
> > On Jan 9, 2016, at 1:30 PM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > I was wondering if it would be possible to develop a variant of "all on
> > one line", namely "all on one page", where the page height would be
> > automatically adjusted to fit the music, leaving the width as set.
>
> I’m glad to report that I’ve made some real progress.

> The code in the attached patch delivers the basic functionality, with a few
> "known issues".

> Namely the tagline and any footnotes are not included,

> and bookparts trigger default page breaking for some reason.

>  I haven’t tested it extensively but titles (etc.), top level markups,
> multiple scores,

> all seem to work just fine.

That's great news! For the application to Denemo taglines and footnotes
are not wanted anyway as it is for creating a score to play from
on-screen.
 I guess it will be some time before this code gets into a release?

> The approach is to temporarily set the page-height to the largest size
> possible,

What is the largest size possible? I tried playing around with some
sizes, and some didn't work ...

> do the line breaking and page layout for that page height, then get the
> vertical position on the page and the height of the lowest system (or top
> level markup), and use that to calculate and then set the final page height
> so that it fits the content of the page.

A crude version of this is what will be in the impending Denemo release
- Denemo creates the SVG output and counts the pages and then re-runs
LilyPond at a larger page size.

Richard