Re: Determining what parameters exist for an item

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Determining what parameters exist for an item
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 19:19:30 +0100

> Hi David,
>
>> it would be easier if you did not do creative editing in order to
>> let everything disappear not meeting your preconceptions.
>
> It’s not clear what you’re talking about… but anyway…
>
> It’s still perfectly clear to me — and, it seems, Charles and others —
> that Lilypond has grobs, and those grobs have properties, and those
> properties have values, and the default values of some of those
> properties are not easily determinable by the [beginning?] user.
>
> Three examples which I just pulled at total random are
>     Beam.beam-thickness (via beam-interface)

LilyPond internals:

3.1.19 Beam
-----------

Beam objects are created by: *note Auto_beam_engraver::, *note
Beam_engraver::, *note Chord_tremolo_engraver::, *note
Grace_auto_beam_engraver:: and *note Grace_beam_engraver::.

   Standard settings:

     ‘auto-knee-gap’ (dimension, in staff space):
          ‘5.5’

          If a gap is found between note heads where a horizontal beam
          fits that is larger than this number, make a kneed beam.

     ‘beam-thickness’ (dimension, in staff space):
          ‘0.48’

          Beam thickness, measured in ‘staff-space’ units.

[...]

What do you think that 0.48 is supposed to be?

In the Internals Reference.

>     NoteHead.break-visibility (via item-interface)

Unset, so default behavior.  Namely everything's visible.  Not a really
surprising default.

>     KeyCancellation.font-size (via font-interface)

Unset, so default behavior.  font-size is documented (in the Internals
Reference) as following a context property fontSize when present.

--
David Kastrup