Re: simplifying chromatic scale notation

From: musicus
Subject: Re: simplifying chromatic scale notation
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 12:25:41 +0000

"1. I like to know where exactly I am at a given time."

Of course there are always some "key positions", which can help to organize yourself while playing (or remembering/ learning etc.). Nevertheless I do think that it is important to reduce the optical impact to the minimum necessary and therefore as far as I'm concerned I don't want to have every single note in a chromatic scale in my perception.

"2. Such an even notation doesn’t match well with the uneven keyboard. In
our traditional system there are seven note positions per octave and
seven white keys per octave, not twelve equal keys ;) This unevenness is
necessary for fingerings."

(...and additionally the uneven keyboard matches our uneven hands ;-) )
That's why I have no ambitions to change the principle of our standard notation system.
I only struggle with the quite awkward phenomenon of chromatic scales.
Concerning fingerings: additionally to pitches it's possible to synchronize fingerings with rhythmic patterns... and you can always "upgrade" a simplified notehead to a normal one

"Attached you can see my thoughts on three measures of left hand of
Taneyev’s already mentioned fugue. Black are thoughts on the scales, red
thoughts on getting both hands together. If you look closely you’ll also
notice"

I made some suggestions in the attached pdf ;)
I know, that your thoughts may be only hints for your memory, so you are of course free to use every possible imagination you like.

"3. Harmonic context: Many of the notes make some harmonic sense when
combined with the right hand. This would be lost completely with your
system."

Technically yes. But my experience with extended chromatic scales is, that most time the harmonic context (regarding chromatic, not the rest) is not that important. Especially fast chromatic lines need more metric than harmonic organization, for example.

Best,
musicus