Re: simplifying chromatic scale notation

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: simplifying chromatic scale notation
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 09:20:11 -0500

Hi Sharon,

> I see no reason to change a system which works so well for so
> many different kinds of music. All these alternative systems, I don't see
> what advantage they offer. On the contrary, there are many downsides -
> they're unsuitable for keyboards, unsuitable for tonal music, unsuitable for
> music in unequal temperament, unsuitable for microtonal music, require
> relearning how to read music, make transposition harder. So what's the point?

The point is: there have been many times in the history of Western music that
someone offered to [try to] improve the notation system, and others said
“What’s the point?”, and ultimately we (i.e., people who use the Western
notation system) adopted many of the suggestions and didn’t adopt others, and
we now have a system which — as you correctly point out — works so well for so
many different kinds of music.

Is there room in the Western notation system for improvement and growth?
Absolutely.

Is this particular suggestion an improvement? Not in my opinion.
But then again, I’m not the only person using the Western notation system…  ;)

Best,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info