Re: Rests in Dynamics context

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Rests in Dynamics context
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 17:56:45 +0100

Am 26.01.2016 um 17:49 schrieb Caio Giovaneti de Barros:
Is there a way to write rests in the Dynamics context? (or something like it)

I don't think so.

But you can try using a regular Staff and adjust it by hiding/omitting everything you don't want:

\score {
  \new PianoStaff <<
    \new Staff { c'4 s4 c' }
    \new Staff \with {
      \omit TimeSignature
      \omit KeySignature
      \omit Clef
      \hide StaffSymbol
    }
    {
      s4 r4
    }
    \new Staff { c'4 s4 c' }

}

If you need this regularly you could define a special context for this.

HTH
Urs

I'm engraving a piece for piano in which there are rests used by both staves. It would be much cleaner for the musician to read some of the rests between staves (same as dynamics in the Dynamics context).

So far the only way I could think of is to add the rest as a markup, but (1) this doesn't write the rest in the middle and (2) there is no way to differentiate a whole note rest and a half note rest:

\version "2.19.35"

\new PianoStaff <<

\new Staff { s4 e'4 s2 e'4 }

\new Dynamics {

r4^\markup { \musicglyph #"rests.2"} s4 r2_\markup { \musicglyph #"rests.1" } s4

r1-\markup { \musicglyph #"rests.0" }

}

\new Staff { \clef F s4 c s2 c4 }