Re: simplifying chromatic scale notation

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: simplifying chromatic scale notation
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 22:17:40 +0100

> On 26 Jan 2016, at 18:01, Sharon Rosner <address@hidden> wrote:

> So you see, it's quite a straight-forward a technique. Yes, accidental
> translation can be tricky, but with practice it becomes second nature. And
> again, 300 years ago it was considered a basic skill for any musician worth
> his salt, it's just modern musicians that are handicapped.

One way to learn it might be to try out the file diatonic.ck [1] I wrote for
ChucK [2]. It starts up in quarter-comma extended meantone, setting the major
third to the rational interval 5/4, though one can easily choose another tuning.

One plays on the typing keyboard in a 2-dimensional layout, corresponding to
the two generators of the staff notation system, then. A transpose is then same
as a translation on the keyboard.

If one makes the wrong choice of E12 enharmonic note, then one plays a wolf
interval. So that gives an interactive way to discover the difference.

1.
https://secure2.storegate.com/Shares/Home.aspx?ShareID=f2f70b60-a7f7-4d15-9c36-6763de133c62

2. http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/