Re: Sustain pedal cautionary after line break

From: Pierre Perol-Schneider
Subject: Re: Sustain pedal cautionary after line break
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 23:02:27 +0100

Thank you Kieren.
Cheers,
Pierre

Hi Pierre,

> Could you tell me a little more?

Here’s a tweaked-up example:

\relative c'' {
  \set Staff.pedalSustainStyle = #'mixed
  c1\sustainOn \break
  c1 -\tweak extra-offset #'(-4 . -0.9) -\tweak whiteout-style #'outline -\tweak whiteout 3 -\tweak layer 2 _\markup \concat { ( \musicglyph #"pedal.Ped" ".)" \hspace #0.5 }
  c1\sustainOff
}

In my real-world engravings, I do this via the edition-engraver (instead of inline), and use context overrides instead of tweaks… but you get the picture.

Changing the pedal stencil and adding a “\sustainOff\sustainOn” at the line-break, as you did, is the other obvious workaround; it’s slightly more complicated, but more flexible and less fragile.

Ultimately, I think we all agree it will be best when broken-spanner texts/markups are natively supported in pedals.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info