Re: Reversing order of colliding noteheads?

From: Michael J. O'Donnell
Subject: Re: Reversing order of colliding noteheads?
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 10:11:43 -0600

Thanks Abraham,

Solution 1, using NoteColumn.force-hshift, was just what I was looking
for, but couldn't find it in the manual until I knew the name of the
property.

In case anyone else is interested, it's in the manual at
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/learning/fixing-overlapping-notation#the-force_002dhshift-property

I tried the solution, and verified that the relevant word in the lyrics
moved along in alignment with the note, so it's a very robust method,
not leading to a cascade of other tweaks.

In case a LilyPond developer rethinks this some day, it would be nice
to be able to tweak a different horizontal order for colliding
noteheads without specifying the distance moved. Also, I would suggest
a policy of keeping tied notes contiguous. But these would be low
priority wishes.

Cheers,

Mike O'Donnell