Re: digital music editions - is Lilypond a suitable tool for it?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: digital music editions - is Lilypond a suitable tool for it?
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 14:28:57 +0100

Digital music edition is a rather broad field and there exists a very active scholarly community around it. You nay want to have a look at http://music-encoding.org.

With regard to SVG rendering there is Verovio, a tool that can provide instant rendering of scores (encoded in XMK) including reflowing directly in a browser.
There are even examples where you can edit the score in the browser and the changes are written back into the XML.

You may also have a look at http://beethovens-werkstatt.de/demo which goes as far as to switch elements *within the scanned autograph*.

LilyPond’s largest drawback compared to that context is the static nature of the compilation. However, there's a really strong point in using LilyPond in that context: the engraving quality, combined with its text based nature and the option of strict separation of content and presentation. There's currently no tool to produce professional engraving from digital encodings, and LilyPond will hopefully be the solution to that. Several projects are under way to that end.

Best
Urs