Re: Fret Diagrams

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Fret Diagrams
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 20:14:26 +0100

Hi Peter,

> This may be trivial but searches of themanuals etc have not born fruit.
>
> How do you prevent the markup N.C. appearing where there is a note rest. In
> fact  N.C. does not always appear sometimes once in a
> bar sometimes twice for no immediately apparent reason.

searching for N.C. in Notation Reference give an immediate hit, pointing to
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/displaying-chords#printing-chord-names

Where you can read:
Rests passed to a ChordNames context will cause the noChordSymbol
markup to be displayed.

So:
It has nothing to do with Fret Diagrams, but ChordNames.
Everywhere you wrote rests the noChordSymbol appears for each rest.

> If r1 is replaced by R1 then no "N.C." markup.

R1 is a MultiMeasureRest not a Rest, so noChordSymbol is not printed.
Some for spacers, btw.

Maybe we should extend the example from the NR to demonstrate how to
change noChordSymbol.

Here your shortened example with some possibilities:

m =
  \chordmode {
    e1:7 |
    s1 |
    r1 |
    a2 g |
    c2:dim7 a:7 |
    d1 |
    \set noChordSymbol = "foo"
    r1 |
    \set noChordSymbol = ""
    r2 r4 g |
    R1
  }

<<
    \new ChordNames \with { noChordSymbol = "--x--" }\m
    \new Staff \m

HTH,
  Harm