Re: D.C. al fine

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: D.C. al fine
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2016 20:38:12 +0100

Noeck <address@hidden> writes:

> Dear Graham, David, all,
>
> I never used a real repeat structure for D.C. al Fine pieces. But your
> example, Graham, does it very nicely. I put it into a little function
> below which makes it easy to reuse. A \repeatsegno follows the same
> lines. I would consider these four versions to be standard structures:
> - D.C. al Fine: A F| B -> A B A
> - D.S. al Fine: A |S B F| D -> A B D B
> - D.C. al Coda: A C| B |C D -> A B A D
> - D.S. al Coda: A |S B C| D |C E -> A B D B E
> (|S = Segno, F| = Fine, C = Coda)
>
> I know this has been discussed before [1] and found too hard to
> implement for all cases as a general repeat structure interface.

It was more of the "nobody bothered implementing it yet" variety.  The
varieties presented by Ian Hulin would all be mappable to a form of

\repeat coda #n { ... } \alternative { ... }

on the input side.  One "just" needs to make it do something useful, but
the \unfoldrepeats could be quite the same as for \repeat volta.

--
David Kastrup