Re: Very fast typesetting regardless of beauty?

From: Nathan Ho
Subject: Re: Very fast typesetting regardless of beauty?
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2016 18:00:33 -0800

On 2016-02-03 17:51, Isaac Reilly wrote:
Hi all,

I'm working on a graphical music editing program. The final output
(with Lilypond, of course) is going great, but for editing the music
in real-time it's way too slow.

Can you give me advice or point me toward a resource on speeding up
Lilypond by turning off features? For instance, I don't care about
stem length, beam slant, collisions between noteheads and anything
else, collisions between markup elements, or spacing between staves.
And since it will always be rendering to a single page wide enough to
hold it all on one line, I'd like to turn off the line break
calculations. What do you suggest?

Hi Isaac,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but LilyPond doesn't seem to be the right tool for real-time engraving. Maybe take a look at guidolib (http://guidolib.sourceforge.net/), which is specifically intended for real-time engraving. INScore (http://inscore.sourceforge.net/) is a very cool environment that employs guidolib for animated, interactive scores.

Nathan