Superscript in \markup environment

From: Robert Blackstone
Subject: Superscript in \markup environment
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 19:53:26 +0100

Dear list

The LilyPond-project that I'm presently working on deals with some 40 songs,
voice and a keyboard instrument, with comments and explanations underneath each
score, some with small musical examples.
In these comments I would like interval names like 5ths and 8ves to be written
with "ths" and "ves" as superscript, but up till now none of superscript
possibilities I found in the LilyPond Notation Reference worked in the
\markup -part of the file. They sometimes even made the whole comment disappear.

 See the MWE below. (not so minimal, my apologies). What can I do to get these
superscripts?
(Both the music and the comment are fictional. Just found some snippets that
could serve my purpose here.)

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.18.2"

\relative c'
{
\new Staff { \omit Staff.TimeSignature \clef treble \time 3/2
<<
{\stemUp cis'2 \once \hideNotes  b4 \once \hideNotes b b2 }\bar "||"
\new Voice {\voiceTwo \stemDown  a2 \set fontSize = #-4 \single \hide Stem gis4
\single \hide Stem fis4^- \unset fontSize e2 |}

<<
{\stemUp fis2 \once \hideNotes r4 \once \hideNotes r4 e2 } \bar "||"
\new Voice {\voiceTwo \stemDown d2 \set fontSize = #-4 \single  \hide Stem cis4
 \single \hide Stem b4^-  \unset fontSize a2 |}

}\bar "||"

 \markup {
\fill-line {" "
{
\column {
\left-align {
"Sometimes hidden parallel 5ths can be tolerated but these could have been
avoided by contrary movement." "The same goes for parallel 8ves."

    } %end left-align
    } %end Column
    }
    } % end fill-line