Re: feature request: stem length should scale for scaled/cue notes

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: feature request: stem length should scale for scaled/cue notes
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2016 17:37:44 +0100

> Hello all,
>
> I searched the issue tracker and LSR, but couldn’t find anything related to
> this.
> (Apologies if I missed it.)
>
> Please consider the output of following snippet:
>
> %%%  BEGIN SNIPPET
> \version "2.19.35"
>
> cees = { c'8 8 8 8 }
>
> tinyteeny = {
>   \time 2/4
>   \cees
>   \tiny \cees
>   \teeny \cees
>   \new CueVoice { \cees }
>   << R2 \new CueVoice { \cees } >>
> }
>
> \score {
>   \new Staff \tinyteeny
> }
> %%%  END SNIPPET
>
> The stem lengths are identical for all notehead sizes; note also that this is
> independent of whether CueVoice is explicitly used, and if so whether the
> CueVoice is simultaneous with another voice.
>
> While this output is perhaps logical/intuitive, it looks odd to my eye. And
> it’s definitely not the accepted convention (cf. Gould, p. 569: “Cue notation
> is about three-quarters the size of full-sized notation […] All notation
> symbols that are part of the cue […] are scaled down. Stem lengths are 2-2½
> stave-spaces long.”).
>
> I think Lilypond should [optionally?] calculate the stem length *relative to
> the notehead size*, so that the smaller notes look like “real music”.
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Kieren.

Hi Kieren,

in CueVoice stem length _is_ shortened.
See IR for CueVoice:
"Set grob-property length-fraction in Stem to 0.629960524947437."

But it in your example it has no effect, because 'no-stem-extend is #f
Try it with:

\layout {
  \context {
    \CueVoice
    %  Set grob-property length-fraction in Stem to 0.629960524947437.
    \override Stem.no-stem-extend = ##t

For reduced sizes in a common Voice we nowadays have `magnifyMusic',
not sure if we need more.

Cheers,
  Harm