print page numbers on margins

From: Jonathan Scholbach
Subject: print page numbers on margins
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 19:00:06 +0100

Dear all,

I have margins on both sides of the page and would like to print the page numbers on the margin. How do I do that?

My settings are

\version "2.19.22"

\paper {

left-margin = 2\cm

right-margin = 2\cm

oddHeaderMarkup= \markup { \column { { \fromproperty #'page:page-number-string }}} %left aligned page numbers on odd pages

evenHeaderMarkup = \markup { { \column { \fill-line {"" \fromproperty #'page:page-number-string }}}}%right aligned page numbers on even pages

}

\book {

\score {

\new Staff { R1*500 }

I tried to play around with something like

indent = 2\cm

short-indent = 2\cm

horizontal-shift = -1\cm

but that's ugly, because it changes only the positioning of the systems, but not of, for example, the system-separators.  And there might be many other elements I would have to re-position if I did it that way. Is there a possibility the other way around - just changing the position of the HeaderMarkup?

Thanks!

Jonathan