Tie across voices

From: Joseph N. Srednicki
Subject: Tie across voices
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 18:37:15 -0500

In the following three-beat example, I am trying to tie the upper-voice note in the second beat with the lower-voice note of the third beat.

My example seems to work somewhat, but the notes of the upper and lower voices of the second and third beats do not align vertically as they should.

Can someone please explain how to align the upper and lower voices in the second and third beats or another approach to the problem of coding the tie across voices?

I tried using \shiftOn to align the voices, but I was unsuccessful.

I used Google to search and found the snippet located at http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Snippet?id=8. I tried to follow this snippet as an example.

Thanks to anyone who is willing to offer a solution.

Thanks.

Joe Srednicki

\version "2.19.35"

\language "english"

\relative c' {\key d\major

  \time 3/8

  <<

    {fs8 b d}

    \\

    {\skip 8

     \override Stem.transparent = ##t

     \override Stem.length = #8

      b8 ~ \once \override NoteHead.transparent = ##t b8\noBeam

    }

    \\

    {\stemDown cs,8 es b'}