Re: repeat

From: Johan Vromans
Subject: Re: repeat
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 10:21:51 +0100

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 23:14:18 -0600
David Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

> So, if you write/print the sequence of notes once, why would you want
> to copy and paste them all in again?

The basic questron is: If I have a sequence of measures that goes like
this:

   AAA BBB CCC1 DDD EEE
   AAA BBB CCC2 DDD EEE

can I take advantage of some repeat method to avoid duplicating all the AAA
BBB DDD and EEE's, in the input and in the output.

The answer is: No, you can't. There is no officially accepted music
notation that supports this. We can brew something in LilyPond using
functions, variables etc but there would still be no shortening of the
sheet output, just the LP input.

> > For the sheet, I would resort to just writing the first note and add a
> > markup silimar to "2nd time, play XXX".

> This will unnecessarily prevent LilyPond using the \repeat volta
> construction and so, once again, no MIDI rendition among other
> concerns,

LilyPond doesn't deal with segno, coda, d.s. etc either in the MIDI. The LP
generated MIDI only matches the sheet music in most but definitely not all
cases.

> I can't help wondering what you and the OP have against a conventional
> method like those depicted in
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-02/msg00260.html

"Have against" is a big word... Technically, these methods are fine. But
you lose the visual aspect of a repeated piece of music with just a small
difference between the first and the second repetitions.

-- Johan