variables in \book { }

From: Graham King
Subject: variables in \book { }
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 14:32:07 +0000

I'm working on a book containing twelve short single-movement quintets, originally with the intention of assembling them into a single volume with book-titling.ily.  However, being unable to make book-titling.ily deliver a ragged-last-bottom margin for each of the twelve quintets, I'm now trying to migrate to using \book { \score { ... } \score ... }.

Here's the problem:

\version "2.19.35"
\book {
  music = \relative { c' d e f }
  \score {
    \music
fails with:
book_test.ly:4:3: error: syntax error, unexpected STRING
  music = \relative { c' d e f }
book_test.ly:6:5: error: unknown escaped string: `\music'
    \music
/book_test.ly:6:5: error: unrecognized string, not in text script or \lyricmode
    \music
whereas
\version "2.19.35"
music = \relative { c' d e f }
\book {
  \score {
    \music
works fine.

To avoid having to restructure a number of files, it would be very handy to be able to use the former layout (defining music = { ... }, and a number of other variables, within \book but outside \score).  Is there a way to achieve that?
(Alternatively, if there's a way to make book-titling.ily do a ragged-last-bottom for each piece, that would save even more work).

hopefully,
-- Graham