Re: There is no key signature in the generated Midi file ?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: There is no key signature in the generated Midi file ?
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 17:09:54 +0100

Esko Teerilahti <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> kirjoitti 16.2.2016 kello 15.30:
>

>> Your screen shot of MidiYogi _clearly_ shows you looking in the control
>> track.  WHEREAS THE KEY (WHICH NEEDS NOT BE THE SAME ACROSS TRACKS) IS
>> IN THE INDIVIDUAL INSTRUMENTS' TRACKS.
>>
>> DID YOU BOTHER TO CHECK THIS?
>>
> I Did many times but wasn’t smart enough, and nor is the MidiYodi.
>
> In my own example, main window (in screenshot) shows ’no key signature
> available’, regardless which track I selected.
>
> Then I tried with other midi file, and it shows the correct key value,
> regardless which track I selected.
>
> Then I found the Event examiner.
> In my own example It shows the Key signature in the instrument track
> (as you pointed out).
>
> Whereas, with the other midifile, Key signature IS in the control track !
> And the main window only seems to show the key signature, when it is
> in the control track.
>
> So anyway, there is Key signature in the generated midi file.

i have no copy of the Midi standard so have to go by hearsay.  For
example, in <URL:http://www.somascape.org/midi/tech/mfile.html#meta> it
says

    Key Signature

    FF 59 02 sf mi

    sf is a byte specifying the number of flats (-ve) or sharps (+ve)
    that identifies the key signature (-7 = 7 flats, -1 = 1 flat, 0 =
    key of C, 1 = 1 sharp, etc).  mi is a byte specifying a major (0) or
    minor (1) key.

    For a format 1 MIDI file, Key Signature Meta events should only
    occur within the first MTrk chunk.

Note the last paragraph.  It may be that LilyPond is not heeding the
standard here (somebody would need to check a copy of the standard to be
sure, and the standard costs money).  A standard which, by the way,
would seem stupid since key signatures _may_ well be different for
different tracks.

--
David Kastrup