Re: Tie chord between staves

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Tie chord between staves
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 11:59:41 +0100

Hi John,

before you are wondering about the code example you got by Pierre, let me tell you that you have already managed to run into one of the more annoying and embarrassing issues with LilyPond. There actually is no proper support for ties that are not strictly horizontal, which affect staff changes (as in your example), but also clef changes within a staff and enharmonic changes of the same pitch ( e.g. cis ~ des).

What Pierre suggests is basically to hard-code the actual shape of the ties in your file, which is a rather hacky workaround as it will not behave properly when anything in your layout changes. (Apart from that one could also make use of the built-in function \shape, which you can read about on http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/modifying-shapes.

Another hacky workaround would be to replace the ties by slurs, which can of course cross staves. But here we'd have the problem of getting three simultaneous slurs. I know there's a rather recent (?) feature to make this possible, but I'm not sure how, so someone else should help out with that if you'd want to go that route.
Graphically this is probably the simplest solution, but this requires you to write semantically wrong stuff in the input file: what you have *is* a set of ties, not of slurs.

HTH (a bit)
Urs