Re: Multi-rest with automatic bar number before and after it

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Multi-rest with automatic bar number before and after it
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 16:38:23 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 4:36 PM, Thomas Morley-2 [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 3:26 PM, Kieren MacMillan [via Lilypond] <[hidden
> email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Harm,
>>
>> > A hacky solution for one-time use
>>
>> This is great! The only thing I could suggest is that the font for the bar
>> numbers shouldn’t be the same as the big MMR number font.
>

> Yes, very nice! I've been trying to do this for a little while now, but this
> lays some excellent ground-work.
>

>> > A cleaner one would likely need an engraver.
>>
>> I see this kind of numbering a fair bit in musical theatre scores. I don’t
>> know if it’s common elsewhere, but it might be a nice feature in the
>> Lilypond toolkit.
>

> Thomas, is there a permanent form for \applyOutput? That way you don't need
> to do this every time you want to use it?
>
> Best,
> Abraham

I'm a little surprised about the positive echo about my little coding.
For me it was more a coding-exercise to get myself more familiar with
\applyOutput. (David K recently demonstrated it's usage.)
I've never seen this kind of annotations myself.
As said before, a cleaner and switched-on/off-on-demand-coding
requires an engraver, as far as I can see now.

Although a more permanent form may likely be achieved by mapping the
function over some music, I think an engraver would be preferable.

I'll try to give it a go the upcoming days.

It's also seen in film scoring, so I believe it's a useful feature.

- Abraham