Re: makam.ly

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: makam.ly
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 15:46:58 +0100

> On 22 Feb 2016, at 13:23, BB <address@hidden> wrote:

> one full tonal step divided into 9 comma, in my opinion this is only of
> interest for classical/historical Turkish music, or for geographic intonation
> differences of folk music for field studies.
> In the today music practice notation is similar to the quarter tone notation.

This file tries to imitate the AUE (Arel-Ezgi-Uzdile), cf. Ozan Yarman, "A
Comparative Evaluation of Pitch Notations in Turkish Makam Music”.

The AUE system uses E53, 53-equal temperament, which is very close to
Pythagorean tuning, The E53 tone steps are called commas, with major second M =
9, minor second m = 4, and sharp # = 9 - 5 = 4 commas. The AUE symbol # raises
with 4 commas, and is not a Pythagorean tuning sharp, which causes some
confusion among performers.

The LilyPond implementation is not correct: it uses a multiple of E12, and does
not transpose correctly: the sharp should have been divided into 5 steps.

One can use E53 by Graham Breed’s regular.ly, and the MIDI will then come out
correctly. And it is possible to use the SMuFL.org font with
http://www.openlilylib.org/, but that is a bit more complicated.

> Arabic noatation \include arabic.ly
> maqam -> plural maqamat
> The notation simply divides a full tonal step into 4 intervals. There are
> geographic differences in the music practice as well. The lilypond practice
> to use italian note names does not meet the nowaday practice. I play Oud and
> most of the arbic players a meet use the english note names.The Italian note
> names are a hurdle for the English speaking users and others as well.

This is just a hack in E24 somebody did in order to do the notation. E53 would
be better, as above. The difference is to raise with with 2 commas for or lower
with 3, except in Maqam Sikah Baladi [1].

1. http://www.maqamworld.com/maqamat/sikah.html#sikah-baladi