Global volta and midi

From: Pierre-Luc Gauthier
Subject: Global volta and midi
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 11:34:17 -0500

Hi there,

I'm going through my LilyPond testing folder.

And there is this situation I never quite resolved.

I love the fact that I can centralize the structure of a song into a
single variable.

e.g.

structure = {
  \key a \major
  \time 4/4
  \tempo 4=112
  s1 |
  \repeat volta 2 {
    s1 |
  }
  s2. s4\fermata |
  \bar "|."
}

I found it has many advantages :
Everything that is common to everybody *is* and should be in that variable.

Well, most everything:
My problem is with volta.

The cool thing though is that it gets correctly displayed.
The problem arrise when \unfoldRepeat is used in the midi score.
Then the structure get unfolded but not the music.

Volta (well in most songs anyway) are something that relates to every
body in the band.
Therefore it should not be repeated in every musical expression.

Say you have a 20 piece orchestra and you want to repeat a section 4
times instead of 2.
Should you go and change all those 20 2s to 4s ?

Maybe my approach is wrong.
Is there another way to go about centralizing everything in a single variable.

It is something I want to optimize in my workflow
by not having to maintain different parts of a song that should
actually be the same throughout.

Any thoughts?

Have a good day
--