Re: hoot run convert-ly on OSX 11011

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: hoot run convert-ly on OSX 11011
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 11:25:38 -0600

On Thu 25 Feb 2016 at 08:45:06 (-0500), John Gourlay wrote:
> I’ve never run the convert-ly script, so I can’t help you easily. I’ve
> forwarded this to the lilypond-user email group from whom you’ll surely get
> better help.

> > On Feb 24, 2016, at 2:06 PM, Floris van Manen <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > With python 3.5 installed, how to i run the convert-ly script ?
> >
> > /Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/convert-ly
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >  File "/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/convert-ly", line
> > 52, in <module>
> >    import lilylib as ly
> >  File
> > "/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/share/lilypond/current/python/lilylib.py",
> >  line 238
> >    print log[0]
> >            ^
> > SyntaxError: Missing parentheses in call to ‘print'

I don't know what the significance of 11011 in your subject line is.
Anyway, your installation should be able to cope with python2 and
python 3 alongside each other. python2 is still the basis for a lot of
unix infrastructure so that, for example, in Debian python2 is
priority standard (an expected part of any linux system) and python3
is priority optional (pulled in by packages that require it and that
you've ask for later in your installation process).

Beware that python2 and python3 are incompatible: the same syntax can
have completely different semantics. Obvious example:
python2: 3/2 gives 1
python3: 3/2 gives 1.5

Develop in python3 (unless you're waiting for some dependency to be
ported), but there's a huge legacy of code in python2 that's not going
away anytime soon. 2to3 is a very capable script for bridging the gap.
(You probably need python2 to run it!)

Cheers,
David.