Re: scripts on OSX 10.11

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: scripts on OSX 10.11
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 22:51:59 -0600

On Thu 25 Feb 2016 at 22:50:23 (+0100), Floris van Manen wrote:
> the thing is that some of the scripts in the bin folder have python set to
> #!/usr/bin/python
> I merely copied it to other scripts to get them going for the time.
>
> I do agree that it would be more convenient to have the scripts use the
> python version which is included in the Lilypond.app distro.
> Not sure how to set that working from a shell script however.
> e.g. if you run that python, there is no working environment either…
>
> $ /Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/MacOS/python
> Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
> Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
> Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
> 'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
> Python 2.6.6 (r266:84374, Aug 31 2010, 11:00:51)
> [GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5493)] on darwin
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> ImportError: No module named os

That suggests that there is something wrong with your installed
lilypond. The stand-alone development version I have downloaded
(because Debian/stable only runs 2.18.2) is installed in my home
directory, and its python runs ok:

$ ~/lilypond/usr/bin/python
Python 2.4.5 (#1, Apr  5 2015, 12:40:45)
[GCC 4.9.2] on linux3
>>> import os

$ ~/lilypond/usr/bin/python ~/lilypond/usr/bin/convert-ly --version
2.19.36
$

As you can see, the python version is pretty ancient compared with:

$ python
Python 2.7.9 (default, Mar  1 2015, 18:22:53)
[GCC 4.9.2] on linux2

$

I take it the scripts you've been altering are just those in that
tree, in which case, I'd try downloading another copy in case it's
corrupted. (You could try comparing downloads; I don't know if
the packages have any checkable checksum.) Then reinstall it.
I have noticed that, for example, os.pyc is in a zip archive
LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.6/site-packages.zip
Maybe that didn't get unzipped properly. Can you see a file
LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.6/os.pyc ?

> > On 25 Feb 2016, at 22:32, David Wright <address@hidden> wrote:
> > That would indicate that, as far as the system is concerned, python
> > is (a link to) python2. Good, your system (unless it's archlinux)
> > probably isn't broken. You've only broken your part of it.
> >
> > If you work through other people's scripts changing #!/usr/bin/env python
> > to #!/usr/bin/python you are storing up more and more problems in the
> > future. If you really want to stick with a PATH default of python3,
> > then look at each script you feel the need to change. If it's
> > written in python2, you can fairly safely changed the shebang to
> > #!/usr/bin/env python2
> > which should run the correct version. The possible dangers if these
> > are system scripts are that the file's timestamp is changed as are the
> > contents. This could interfere with how their upgrade scripts function
> > if they depend on these.

Cheers,
David.