Re: Tied Notes in Voices, or change of time

From: William Marchant
Subject: Re: Tied Notes in Voices, or change of time
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 19:16:14 -0400

David,
Thanks for the valuable additional tips.  Greatly appreciated.
Bill

On 16-02-27 08:06 PM, David Wright wrote:
On Sat 27 Feb 2016 at 11:04:54 (-0400), William Marchant wrote:
Thanks to all who replied WRT my problem.  I have much to learn yet about
voices.  Thanks again.
Don't take the advice to avoid using \new Voice because without this
construct, you'll struggle to scale your music up to any non-trivial
task. Allowing LP to instantiate contexts automatically is a boon when
posting snippets, but I think it's a mistake to write any real music
that way.

There's no advantage inputting \version anywhere but near the top of
the file, as you did. Likewise, most people will put \language there
because they write all their notes in one language. However, it has
to be usable anywhere because you are free to change language at any
point (if, for example, including someone else's work).

I wrote that you might lay out (not layout) your source more clearly.
I've coerced your snippet into something more like the style I use
myself. (If you eschew "" as much as I do, beware of writing, say,
Staff = s1 because s1 is a whole-note skip. I just don't like the way
my syntax higlighter displays "strings".

You're setting a melody, but slicing and dicing it prevents you from,
say,  printing individual  parts, using a different instrument in the
midi, etc and is harder to read and check, especially in \relative mode.
LP is gradually improving in its ability to separate content and layout,
so it's worth taking advantage of this ability.

Cheers,
David.