Abjad bootcamp this July at Stanford's CCRMA

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Abjad bootcamp this July at Stanford's CCRMA
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 10:26:18 -0600

Hi everyone,

I'd like to take a moment to mention that I'll be teaching a five-day bootcamp on composing with Abjad this July at Stanford's CCRMA in Palo Alto, California:

CCRMA: Formalized Score Control: Using Python & Abjad in Music Composition

Friends and very close collaborators Josiah Wolf Oberholtzer and Jeffrey Treviño will be teaching with me.

Abjad is Python-based composition environment that uses LilyPond for all stages of notational output, from precomposition all the way through to publication-quality finished scores. Abjad is especially useful for composers who think of the music they write in a "formalized" way: that is, for composers who write with patterns or processes in their music that can benefit from being object-modeled.

You can read more about Abjad here:

www.projectabjad.org

And you can take a look at finished scores and listen to pieces here:

http://www.projectabjad.org/gallery.html

If you like academic papers, you can read an overview of Abjad here:

https://github.com/Abjad/tenor2015/blob/master/abjad.pdf

We especially encourage intermediate and advanced users of LilyPond to consider attending the bootcamp: Abjad brings the full power of the Python programming language to the syntax of LilyPond files that you are already familiar with. If you've been thinking about adding a programming component to your compositional process, the bootcamp in July will be an ideal way to get started.

We're also happy to announce that Stanford has agreed to work with us to provide a number of scholarships for women composers who'd like to attend the bootcamp. We think it's important that composers of all backgrounds from all over the world should have access to technologies to help make their work as composers more powerful and more fun!

Best wishes for happy composing and engraving to everyone,

Trevor.