Re: fingeringOrientations = #'( left right ) not possible?

From: Pierre Perol-Schneider
Subject: Re: fingeringOrientations = #'( left right ) not possible?
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 15:56:03 +0100

Hi Simon,

The question is whether it’s _sensible_. There are many things out there which LilyPond doesn’t (easily) allow to do, in order to stay within the bounds of good typography and legibility.
What do you mean by right /and/ left side? I assume it’s not about printing the fingerings twice. Placing fingerings both on the right and left sides of chords is not advisable, because it will be difficult to discern which fingering belongs to which chord (except in very loose spacing). So I think you should take the liberty to deviate from your model.

This is actually pretty common in guitar scores. I'm facing to a Murcia book published by Scheit in 2010 where I can find dozens of examples.
In Thomas particular case I think 'very loose spacing' is the reason why.

Cheers,
Pierre