Re: install frescoba 2.18.2 in Ubuntu

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: install frescoba 2.18.2 in Ubuntu
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 12:41:28 +0100

Am 03.03.2016 um 12:33 schrieb Bernard:
> Hi David,
>
> Thanks for your, and also others, replies Lilypond and Frescbaldi
> works for me now, but this effort of you and others is meant to let
> Frescobadi and Lilypond be installed easily for everybody. I feel this
> effort is good. And I would like to help.
>
> Lets go one step back. The mail is about dependencies. Software X,
> with version Y should work. Should work; a tricky statement. A lot of
> discussions are communicating about versions, and installations steps
> and results on that steps. The knowledge is with you all, but how to
> easily communicate this knowledge with beginners using Lilypond and
> Frescobaldi. How do you know precise what the status is of the
> computer of the person who asked the question?
>
> Let me make a summery of my knowledge, please correct me I am wrong.
> As far as I can tell Lilypond can be installed without Frescobaldi,
> and does not require Frescobadli to be used.

Correct.

> Frescobaldi can be installed without Lilypond, but will have less, or
> no value if there is no Lilypond version installed.

Correct.

> The Lilypond version 2.18.2 and Frescobaldi version 2.18.2 has no
> direct relation with each other.

Yes, it's a mere coincidence that they *right now* happen to be the same.

> Lilypond has no dependency with Frescobaldi.

Yes.

> Frescobaldi has no (technical or installation) dependency with
> Lilypond, but it has a functional dependency with Lilypond.

Yes. Frescobaldi is one possible "frontend" for LilyPond.

> Installation troubles is not unique to Lilypond and frustrates me. I
> do not want to check my self what my system resources are in detail.
> And have to find a way to retrieve those resources. On the other hand,
> you should not spend valuable time to figure out what resources a user
> has. Just compare your installation with there installation and it
> must (not should) work. Of course systems are never equal, that make
> comparing more complicated. But also more attractive to be automated.

The LilyPond installation is really trouble-less, and I have the feeling
that all the confusion came up because someone mixed LilyPond and
Frescobaldi.

If you don't want to install LilyPond using apt-get (for example because
you are recommended to use a newer version) you can simply download the
installation script and run it using "sh path/to/downloaded/script.sh".
This will install LilyPond locally in your user account. There are no
further dependencies or the need of administrator rights.
The only thing that *may* be needed is to add the ~/bin directory to
your $PATH.

> I am a Python programmer and already thinking about these problems a
> lot. I might develop an open source program to do that. If the
> resources check will be Ok Lilypond always can be installed according
> to the instruction. So not should, but is. Of course first knowledge
> has to be gathered of knowledgeable people like you to say in detail
> what is required.

As said, for installing LilyPond there are no further requirements.

> And user will execute that test, and it might be that sometimes a
> specific configuration still does not work. This info will be added,
> so the test will be more accurate, using all the info users might share.
> In short the output should be falsifiability (
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability ). "Should work" is not
> falsifiable. "Does work" is.
>
> This is a lot of work, first because the program itself should have
> none or as less as possible dependencies itself. Second the user
> interfaces should very user friendly.
>
> Is there interest for such a support program for Lilypond and
> Frescobaldi?

You should definitely get in touch with Sharon Rosner (also on this
list) because he has done a lot in that direction recently (at least for
LilyPond).

Best
Urs