Re: install frescoba 2.18.2 in Ubuntu

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: install frescoba 2.18.2 in Ubuntu
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 14:36:57 -0600

On Thu 03 Mar 2016 at 12:41:28 (+0100), Urs Liska wrote:

> The LilyPond installation is really trouble-less, and I have the feeling
> that all the confusion came up because someone mixed LilyPond and
> Frescobaldi.
>
> If you don't want to install LilyPond using apt-get (for example because
> you are recommended to use a newer version) you can simply download the
> installation script and run it using "sh path/to/downloaded/script.sh".
> This will install LilyPond locally in your user account. There are no
> further dependencies or the need of administrator rights.
> The only thing that *may* be needed is to add the ~/bin directory to
> your $PATH.

Most people will have ~/bin in their $PATH, as you know. For those that
don't (and who are unlikely to have edited their PATH before, I think
it might be sensible to show an example of what it will look like,
emphasising that : is a separator, not a terminator or delimiter. I've
known people add a security vulnerability to their system by getting
this wrong. (It puts any directory into your $PATH while you're in it.)

Example of an example:

$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/home/david/bin
$

Cheers,
David.