Use "#f" instead of "false" in manuals (was: OT: pagenumber)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Use "#f" instead of "false" in manuals (was: OT: pagenumber)
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2016 10:11:17 +0100

Am 05.03.2016 um 09:51 schrieb Blöchl Bernhard:
> Setting myself into the situation of a maybe user wanting to switch
> off the pagenumber I would google "lilypond pagenumber". Google is
> correcting me to page number (in correct English written separately).
>
> The first hit is
> LilyPond Notation Reference: 4.1.6 Other \paper variables
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/other-paper-variables
>
> and there I can find
> \paper variables for page numbering
> and eventually land at
>
>  print-page-number
>     If set to false, page numbers are not printed.
>
> What to do now as a simple minded user?
>  print-page-number = false
>  print-page-number = "false"
> etc. .....
>
> The second google hit is
> 3.2.4 Reference to page numbers
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/reference-to-page-numbers
>
> Being familiar with lilypond ##f might find my attention - or not. But
> that link is not really helpful. To get the syntax I would have to
> google again ....
>
> I would recommend to add the options a user has to any item in the
> chapter (maybe in other chapters as well)
> 4.1.6 Other \paper variables
> in the actual example that would mean
>  print-page-number
>     default is ##true. If set to false (##f), page numbers are not
> printed. Example of use:
>  print-page-number = ##f
>
> Is there any adress to send this as a recommendation to the manual
> editors? It is not a bug so I think the bug list is not the correct
> address?

I agree that the use of the words "true" and "false" in that context is
suboptimal and will confuse users who are still struggling with "false",
"#f" and "##f".
I'm not completely sure what the best resolution is.

The bug-lilypond list is the right address for such issues, therefore I
CC to that list with a modified subject.

Urs