Decreasing horizontal spacing when setting a chant

From: Joseph N. Srednicki
Subject: Decreasing horizontal spacing when setting a chant
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2016 13:30:52 -0500

Hello:

I am setting a chant using modern notation.

What technique would I use to decrease the horizontal spacing in the example below?

I looked in the snippets. I also trying adjusting the common shortest duration property, but to no avail.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Joe Srednicki

\version "2.19.35"

\language "english"

#(set-global-staff-size 18)

\header {

  title = "The Great Litany"

  % Remove default LilyPond tagline

  tagline = ##f

}

\paper {

  #(set-paper-size "letter")

}

\layout {

  % Do not indent the first line

  indent = 0.0\cm

  % Make the lyrics one size smaller

  \context {

    \Lyrics

    \override LyricText #'font-size = #-1

  }

  % Remove time signature

  \context {

    \Staff

    \remove "Time_signature_engraver"

  }

  \context {

      \Score

       \override SpacingSpanner.common-shortest-duration = #(ly:make-moment 1/1)

global = {

  \key c \major

  \time 4/4

}

sopranoVoice = \relative c' {

  \global

  \cadenzaOn

  \hide Staff.Stem

  f f f f f f f f f f g \bar "" \break

  f f d e f \bar "" \break

verse = \lyricmode {

  Ho -- ly God, Cre -- a -- tor of hea -- ven and earth

  Have mer -- cy on us.

}

\score {

  \new Staff { \sopranoVoice }