Re: Best support programs for Lilypond

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Best support programs for Lilypond
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 07:46:09 -0600

On Sun 06 Mar 2016 at 12:06:51 (+0000), Richard Shann wrote:
> On Sun, 2016-03-06 at 09:43 +0100, Martin Tarenskeen wrote:
> > On Sun, 6 Mar 2016, Stan Mulder wrote:
> >
> > > Just wondering how to achieve the best output with supporting programs
> > > when
> > > working with Lilypond. I find Frescobaldi a huge leap forward in using
> > > Lilypond. Frescobaldi increases productivity many times.
> > >
> > > Are there any other programs I should be using to speed the notation
> > > process?
> >
> > Also you can use a GUI score editor like Finale, Sibelius, or, if you like
> > many of us prefer free Open Source software, use MuseScore. Then you can
> > export as MusicXML, and then import this in Frescobaldi (uses
> > musicxml2ly). I find MuseScore easier/faster for composing and arranging
> > music, but frescobaldi/lilypond easier/faster to create publishing quality
> > good looking scores.
>
> I would be wary of any approach using MusicXML as a conversion format as
> it is not a format well-suited to representing music notation. (Not as
> unsuitable as MIDI, but still very poor). People have reported simply
> being unable to import files due to variations in the interpretation of
> the MusicXML "standard".

I wouldn't disagree with you there. However, in _my_ interpretation of
the OP, I think MusicXML should be able to copy with transporting just
the note pitches and durations from one's chosen fastest input method
into LilyPond files for the actual typesetting.

Putting this interpretation on the OP, I omitted one of my methods
which is not a supporting _program_, but none the less a great
accelerator. My wife arranges music but is LP-illiterate. However, she
is very proficient at typing LP's pitches and durations, one bar per
line, and the basic lyrics, with very few mistakes, so that's where I
get to start from.

Cheers,
David.