Re: Best support programs for Lilypond

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: Best support programs for Lilypond
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 15:12:44 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 6 Mar 2016, Richard Shann wrote:

Although Denemo is a GUI it can be set up to let you type in music using
pretty much the same keystrokes as with a text editor typing LilyPond
syntax.

I have heard many positive things about the power of Denemo. But everytime I decided to give it a try, I soon gave up because I just didn't like the interface and wasn't able to find my workflow in it.

Personal taste I guess.
I'm very happy with Gvim, Frescobaldi, and MuseScore and don't need much more options.

I would be wary of any approach using MusicXML as a conversion format as
it is not a format well-suited to representing music notation. (Not as
unsuitable as MIDI, but still very poor).

I agree that no miracles should be expected from MusicXML. But it has helped me to speed up export from MuseScore to LilyPond in cases when I needed it. And there is still enough room for improving MusicXML support both from/to LilyPond and from/to MuseScore. So the total situation might improve in future. But that's a different topic.

--

MT