Re: Cadenza writtinh

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Cadenza writtinh
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2016 17:41:03 +0100

Antoon Dekker <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,I'm trying to describe a candenza in one of the Moment Musiceaux (no 4) of
> Rachmaninoff.The descant bar is written with grace notes and the bass bar
> with cords. How can I align these?
> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n188162/cadenza.png> I have no
> clue how to deal with this kind of notation. Have anyone a hint for
> me?

Those are not actually grace notes but a cadenza.  You enter it with
\cadenzaOn/\cadenzaOff and have to keep your timing manually (including
having to add manual beams).

Cf
<URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/special-rhythmic-concerns#aligning-to-cadenzas>

Giving the notes graceish looks is a different problem.  Maybe we should
provide the means to create graceish looks without switching to grace
timing, to better facilitate cadenze which are often written in this
manner.  I don't know offhand how to switch to grace note style or
something comparable right now, but hopefully someone else will chip in
here.

--
David Kastrup