Generation of Notation Videos with Lilypond Tool Chain

From: Dr. Thomas Tensi
Subject: Generation of Notation Videos with Lilypond Tool Chain
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 19:24:23 +0100

Dear all,

for my practising and stage usage I developped a tiny
toolchain based on lilypond.

Starting from a lilypond file an MP4 video is produced
playing the music (or part of) and showing the score (or
part of) with page turning synchronous to the music. As an
additional aid, a (soft) subtitle shows the current measure
number for orientation.

I use this on a tablet on stage for a duo to have the
background tracks for that band synchronous with the score
for the live instruments.  Of course, only one tablet can be
used like that, because there is no video synchronisation
among several tablets out of the box.

The whole process is described in

    http://www.tensi.eu/thomas/iPod/notation-video.html

the appetizer demo video with a BWV 639 rendition can be
found at

    https://youtu.be/bqiMfUvmpug

The idea originated in 2006, where I made a tool chain based
on avisynth and on Windows.  Now the 2016 tool chain just
uses lilypond, timidity plus soundfont, ffmpeg and python
(for scripting); those tools should be available on almost
any platform.

A weakness of the approach is that the page turning times
for the score are gained by parsing the Postscript output
file of lilypond.  This approach is fragile and might break
when the font set is changed or whenever lilypond changes
its rendering philosophy.

Another disadvantage is that tempo changes must be supplied
in a separate text file, because they cannot easily be
deduced from rendering data.

Nevertheless I think that this approach might be interesting
for other performing musicians.  One can have a "moving"
score on any device capable of playing MP4 videos without
having to resort to a special software (like e.g. a MIDI
sequencer).

Feel free to comment on the approach; I am always willing to
learn.

           Best regards,

                  Thomas