Re: Key change in alternative 1

From: Brian Barker
Subject: Re: Key change in alternative 1
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 15:48:13 +0000

At 15:42 13/03/2016 +0100, Malte Meyn wrote:
how should I treat a key change in the first alternative of a volta repeat? I'm not sure whether to print the "change back" at the beginning of the second alternative (m. 5 of the attached code). I don't think it's necessary to print it if the change coincides with a line break (LilyPond's default behaviour, variant 1 in the attached code). But is it necessary when there is no line break (variant 2 or 3)?

For what it's worth, Elaine Gould (someone else will tell you hers is only one suggestion) says "After a change in the first-time bar, a reminder in brackets of a continuing clef, key signature or time signature is helpful at the beginning of the second-time bar" (p. 235). Her example has all three in one set of parentheses but doesn't happen to require cancelling naturals. Separately, she says "When a key change coincides with a system break, the cancelling naturals and the new key signature go at the end of the first system. The new system takes only the new key signature" (p. 93).

"Reminder" and "helpful" suggest to me that the parenthesised addition is not essential, and that she would not include accidentals in your second-time bar. In addition, after a system break, wouldn't the appropriate key signature in your case be three sharps, not one flat - again obviating the accidentals?

Brian Barker