Re: Best support programs for Lilypond

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Best support programs for Lilypond
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 10:28:30 +0000

On Mon, 2016-03-14 at 11:08 +0100, Menu Jacques wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > Le 6 mars 2016 à 16:07, Richard Shann <address@hidden> a écrit :
> >
> > It indeed should be able, but MusicXML isn't well adapted to the task:
> > note durations are indicated in multiple ways and there is a timer that
> > can move backwards to indicate notes that are to be sounded at the same
> > time as other notes and the resulting spaghetti can be very difficult to
> > interpret. The result can be nothing read at all, or (as in the case
> > with Denemo's import at least) empty staffs to be deleted, redundant
> > time signatures to be deleted, or worse, time signatures to be guessed
> > and inserted.
>
> I’ve tried to find information about the MusicXML timer mentioned by Richard,
> but no way.
>
> Can someone indicate where to find some?

I think it's this

http://www.musicxml.com/UserManuals/MusicXML/MusicXML.htm#CT-MusicXML-backup.htm

Description

The backup and forward elements are required to coordinate multiple
voices in one part, including music on multiple staves. The backup type
is generally used to move between voices and staves. Thus the backup
element does not include voice or staff elements. Duration values should
always be positive, and should not cross measure boundaries or
mid-measure changes in the divisions value.

although the description is typically vague and I'm not sure it
corresponds much with what people do. The documentation seems to have
changed a lot since I last saw it, it appears to be machine generated
for the most part, making it look very comprehensive; unfortunately
machines don't care whether it means anything.

Richard