Re: Best support programs for Lilypond

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Best support programs for Lilypond
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 12:23:58 +0000

On Mon, 2016-03-14 at 12:11 +0100, Menu Jacques wrote:
> Hello Richard,
>
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> If I understand well, backup and forward MusicXML elements change the current
> 'position' in a voice along the way.
>
> Why is it difficult to handle that properly?

because it depends on what that means and it depends on people who write
musicXML exporters having the same idea about what that means. A Backup
element contains a "duration" element and it documents this immediately
below  as:

"Duration is a positive number specified in division units. This is the
intended duration vs. notated duration (for instance, swing eighths vs.
even eighths, or differences in dotted notes in Baroque-era music).
Differences in duration specific to an interpretation or performance
should use the note element's attack and release attributes."

which obviously has nothing to do with the "backup" description.
I think the underlying problem is that musicXML has been created not for
the benefit of free software but to help promote a specific commercial
program. Characteristic of commercial products is that they should above
all look very professional, and sound like the right thing.

Unfortunately the free alternative (MEI I think it's called) has been
designed to be written by hand rather than by machine - the creators
explain that there are many different ways of describing the same thing
in MEI, which is good for humans, but bad for machines. LilyPond is in
that class, allowing you to structure your file to reflect your music
rather than providing some rigid framework.

Richard