OT help with midi2ly on command line mac os blind user

From: Daniel Contreras
Subject: OT help with midi2ly on command line mac os blind user
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 22:16:28 -0500

Hello all,
I am trying to wrap my head around this whole command line terminal. I am attempting to follow the steps that are listed on the “Mac OS” section on the lilypond website. I ,think, I have followed each step correctly through step 4, which is to make the file executable. I am confused as to what step 5 is talking about. It is the following:
  1. Now, add this directory to your path. Modify (or create) a file called .profile in your home directory such that it contains
    export PATH=$PATH:~/bin

    This file should end with a blank line.

    I guess my questions are the following:
    How will these steps help me in using midi2ly?
    Also, can anyone give me an example of what to type in the terminal to convert a midi file to lilypond format?

    Thanks for any answers and/or suggestions. I apologize for the long off-topic email. Daniel,
    Also, ha I don’t know why my computer is putting 1’s at the beginning of each line.