Dynamics context and vertical positions

From: Gilberto Agostinho
Subject: Dynamics context and vertical positions
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 10:15:20 -0700 (MST)

Hi all,

I have been using the Dynamics context since short time ago, and I think it
substantially helps to improve the overall look of the score with its
horizontal alignment of all dynamics in a system.

The problem I have with it is that I often find the distance between the
dynamics and the staff to be very large and for no apparent reason. For
instance, compare these two scores below:

\version "2.19.37"

A = {
  c''1
  c''1
  c''1
}

B = {
  s1\p |
  s1\f |
  s1\pp |
}

\new Staff << \A \B >>

<<
  \new Staff \A
  \new Dynamics \B

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n188571/35.png>

The top staff shows the default position of dynamics without using the
Dynamics context. Surely both \p and \pp will have to move a bit downwards
in order to be horizontally aligned with the \f, but the Dynamics context
moves all of them quite a lot downwards (including the \f).

The amount of vertical shift is also not consistent between several staves
in a system. In the example below, the bottom staff has much more distance
between its lowest staff line and its dynamics (21 pixels in my image below)
than the other two upper staves (17 pixels):

\version "2.19.37"

A = {
  c''1
  c''1
  c''1
}

B = {
  s1\p |
  s1\f |
  s1\pp |
}

<<
  \new Staff \A
  \new Dynamics \B
  \new Staff \A
  \new Dynamics \B
  \new Staff \A
  \new Dynamics \B

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n188571/33.png>

In some of my orchestral scores, I have seen even larger gaps between the
Dynamic context and the staff it belongs to, but I could not narrow down why
it happens in some of these cases and so I couldn't come up with a minimal
example. But for instance, here is an excerpt in a very simple texture of
what I came across:

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n188571/12.png>

So my question is: how is the best way to handle this? How can I bring the
Dynamic context closer to the Staff but still avoiding collisions? Are there
any overrides I could use for that?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Gilberto