Re: Adding acoustic guitar (steel) to MIDI

From: Abraham Lee
Subject: Re: Adding acoustic guitar (steel) to MIDI
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 16:31:17 -0600

David,

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 4:14 PM, David Landt <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello David.

David Kastrup wrote
> ChordName or FretBoard context?

Yes, I used ChordNames.  I think the grand piano instrument sounded on
channel 1 because it was following the chord progression. I only wanted to
display chord names.  To shut off the sound of the chord "names" being
played as grand piano, I simply selected the "off" button for that channel
on the MIDI equalizer.

That makes so much more sense now! No wonder nobody else experienced the problem you described since no ChordNames were included in your original file. Yes, ChordNames (and FretBoards, as David K. mentioned) produces sound, too! And it automatically assumes the default sound, which is a piano. You can turn off any context's midi instrument like this:

\new ChordNames \with { midiInstrument = ##f }

that way you don't need to deal with the synthesizer to turn things on/off.

HTH,
Abraham