Re: Adding acoustic guitar (steel) to MIDI

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Adding acoustic guitar (steel) to MIDI
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 03:01:28 +0100

Hello David,

we use to keep communication on-list, except to send really private information.

On 16.03.2016 02:53, address@hidden wrote:

Simon,

I didn't know how to write any code prior to using LilyPond.

Ok, so I misunderstood you from your speaking of the ‘source code’. I thought you meant the source code for LilyPond itself, not just any LilyPond input code.

Everything I created was learned from reading the manuals, snippets, forum threads, and tutorials on YouTube. It took me about three weeks to digest everything and to use what I learned to create my very simple .ly file. Learning code and engraving is fun.

You know exactly what I meant by learning more about LilyPond language. Thanks for providing me with all the information. The months ahead are going to be partly filled with learning LilyPond. I thought learning guitar was challenge.

This forum is very helpful.

David Landt

All the best for your way with LilyPond!
Simon

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 6:15 PM -0700, "Simon Albrecht" <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

On 16.03.2016 01:04, David Landt wrote:
> Hello Simon.
>

> Simon Albrecht-2 wrote
>>> That makes so much more sense now! No wonder nobody else experienced
>>> the problem you described since no ChordNames were included in your
>>> original file.
> Initially, I was trying to follow the forum etiquette by only including what > is pertinent; however, since I am new, I thought that ChordNames strictly > meant a display of names and had no bearing on sound, which I come to find
> out is not the case.

Typically, if you have a problem with a lilypond score, you’d try
removing more and more things and testing if the problem persists. Often
this helps you find the culprit yourself; else you’ll end up with a
minimal example with which you can ask on the list.

> Is there any information available regarding the terminology and anatomy of > the actual LilyPond language? Something like information for learning and
> understanding the actual source code and all its components?

Of course. First, the manuals of course. The Learning Manual gives an
introduction and needs definitely to be read to come to terms with the
basics. It will also help with how to use the other manuals. But from
your question I guess that you have some experience with coding already.
Some information of the kind you ask is found in the Notation Reference,
more in the Extending manual or in the Internals Reference, at some
point you’ll be interested in the Guile manual (either the R5RS for
Scheme in general or the Guile Reference Manual
<http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/docs-1.8/guile-ref/> – yes,
Guile 1.8), and then of course you can delve into the source code
yourself – see <http://lilypond.org/development.html>.

HTH, Simon