Re: HELP: Trill line without 'tr' written before it

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: HELP: Trill line without 'tr' written before it
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 17:04:16 +0100

Mike Solomon <address@hidden> writes:

>> On 16 Mar 2016, at 13:38, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> writes:

>>> IIUC this syntax is being disallowed at the moment and 2.20 will only
>>> allow the (very convenient) dot-separated list syntax
>>> \once\override TrillSpanner bound-details.left.text = ##f
>>
>> All of the following will likely remain allowed for 2.20:
>>
>> \once \override TrillSpanner.bound-details.left.text = ##f
>> % recommended form as of 2.18 as it is simplest

[...]

>> A number of other more obscure variants will work equally well.  But the
>> version written by Mike is slated to go.
>>

> Ah, cool, good to know - I have a style sheet that dates from the
> Stone Age that I haven’t done convert-ly on.  I’ll run it now!

The cool things are not as much about what will stop working but rather
the rationale for that.

Issue 4800, the patch stopping the first form from working, is not
technically necessary (and will likely be committed at a later point of
time as the issues inspiring it).

Its main motivation was to keep

violin2 = { c d }

flagging an error even with issue 4798 since \violin2 would still
not work.  But

violin.2 = { c d }

will work, as will \violin.2 (as of issue 4797) or \violin.#(+ 1 1)

--
David Kastrup