Re: HELP: Trill line without 'tr' written before it

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: HELP: Trill line without 'tr' written before it
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 17:57:50 +0100

> Hi David,
>
> On Mar 16, 2016, at 12:35 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I have my doubts about the importance of this feature.
>
> One of my recent large-forces arrangements included 8 independent horn
> parts,

    "horn1" = { ... }

    \"horn1"

already works and keeps the stuff in different variables.

Of course, so does \horn-I \horn-II ... \horn-VIII

Unless you are iterating through your horns programmatically, the new
possibilities don't appear to offer an advantage.

> Even without considering the [very powerful] possibilities of
> programmatically generating variables with this feature, I have ZERO
> doubts about its importance in allowing Lilypond to more deftly handle
> large scores.

Sure.  I just don't see a significant increase in deftliness here.  It's
more of a "while we are at it, we might as well" feature.

--
David Kastrup