Re: Impossible or ambiguous (de)crescendo in MIDI.

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Impossible or ambiguous (de)crescendo in MIDI.
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 08:59:59 +0000

On Thu, 2016-03-17 at 22:51 +0000, Graham King wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-03-02 at 14:37 +0000, Graham King wrote:
> > I'm trying to eradicate numerous "Impossible or ambiguous
> > (de)crescendo in MIDI" errors from a large score...
> Well, there's some, qualified, success to report: I've eliminated the
> various, sometimes well-hidden, causes of these messages.  But doing
> so has taken half the total time spent on the score.  It would be
> wonderful if the error message could be accompanied by any indication
> at all of where in the score, or input file, to look for the cause.
>
> Meanwhile, here's a note to my future self with some search
> strategies.  I hope others might find it useful:
>
> The following examples might encompass any number of intermediate
> notes and rests.  I'm using lilypond 2.19.35, so other versions might
> need to use different syntax.
>
>      1. Compile early; compile often; fix the warnings as they arise;
>         don't let them mount up.  This will reduce the search space.

For this I suggest you use compiling in the background, I think
Frescobaldi may provide this, certainly Denemo does. Best of all though
would be to set up a separate process niced down to alert you to trouble
(Denemo doesn't make a big fuss if the compilation fails during
background compile, since this will sometimes happen during normal
editing - e.g. when entering a [ before entering the ]).

Richard