Re: Multiple slurs on chord

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Multiple slurs on chord
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 18:47:13 +0100

On 20.03.2016 18:31, Phil Holmes wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Alberto Simões" <address@hidden>
To: "lilypond" <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2016 4:52 PM
Subject: Multiple slurs on chord

Hi

Is it possible to do a multiple slur, one for each note? (see attach)

Thanks
alberto

FWIW, if I were reading that, I'd assume they were ties and not change the upper two notes.

That’s too narrow-minded. I think that the shape of the curves is rather characteristic of slurs, and it’s not difficult to distinguish the two chords visually. Arguing that ‘there can only be one slur in a voice at a time’ is a legalistic point of view and _might_ make sense in some situations (e.g. a dense piano score), but there may equally be good reasons to have more than one slur in a chord, e.g. if this were from an orchestral score with three bassoons (or whatever) partcombined onto one staff. I know that in-chord slurs are now possible (if also not good-looking) and I recall David K. writing about ‘ID’ features allowing something like
{
  \clef bass
  \key g \major
  s2 <d~ g\=1( b\=2(>
  <d fis\=1) a\=2)>4
}
But I don’t recall how much of that is already possible and how much is merely desired. At any rate I’d consider something like that basically the right way of coding this example.

Best, Simon