Re: Dynamics placement

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Dynamics placement
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 11:47:45 +0100

On 22 March 2016 at 23:41, Graham King <address@hidden> wrote:

> I've adopted Simon Albrecht's excellent suggestion in an earlier
> thread [1], and am now using code based on snippet 739 [2] to typeset
> some long dynamic markings.  This has solved a host of layout problems;
> however, it has introduced this nasty spacing issue:
>

> r2 r8 bes8(\mfdolce a bes) | g'4-.( f-.)
>
> where \mfdolce is the result of snippet 739's make-dynamic-script.
>
> Since the dynamic applies to the phrase rather than just the first
> note, is there a way to prevent it pushing the second note to the right?
> I would like it to overlap the second (and, if necessary, subsequent)
> note(s) of this phrase.  I've looked at section 4.4.3 of the Learning
> Manual [3] and things don't appear promising.

Hi,

I use Graham (Percival)'s "make-dynamic-extra", which has two main
advantages :
1. The dynamic only, and not the whole "dynamic + text", is centered
on the note (i.e. like a "normal" dynamic).
2. The dynamic is affecting the MIDI.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2011-06/msg00335.html

IIRC it did not have any drawbacks, but I haven't tried it recently
(maybe new versions of LilyPond brought some internal changes
unsuitable to "make-dynamic-extra").

Cheers,
Xavier

--